**please do not remove artist’s comments or repost this comic!!!**
okay so i finally finished this comic for my design class! i might eventually print it in small booklets or make multiple episodes/issues if enough interest is expressed. if you reblog this and you would be interested in purchasing/reading issues of this or comics like this, please say so so that i can gauge whether or not this is something i should pursue! <3
the final image is what the back cover will look like if i print it!
EDIT: the phrase “sorry my friendship is a crappy consolation prize” is adapted from a post by tumblr user pampampam!
EDIT 2: i added the page in between 2 and 3 to make the friendzoner’s reaction make more sense and to better communicate the point i was trying to make with this comic!
1. They tell us to carry mace, flashlights, whistles
And then sell us pants with no pockets.
2. “Well, you got a purse,” the man says.
Yeah, just excuse me while I fumble through
my bag in a dark alleyway.
I’m sure my attacker will patiently wait.
3. They say don’t drink.
And then tell us to
Ruin his libido with piss.
I don’t know about you,
But I get stage fright even with a full bladder.
4. They say take a martial arts class,
Learn to defend yourself.
Ten years into that pursuit now, myself
And my sensei’s never turned to me and said,
“Why don’t you wear your heels into class?
Wanna make sure you can do a proper take down in them.”
5. “Don’t wear your hair up,” says the person
Who’s never fought loose, waist-length hair in a windstorm.
Or pulled it out of sticky lip gloss for the umpteenth time.
6. “Carry your keys between your fingers like a weapon.”
Because three inches of dull metal
Is really menacing to someone who is bigger and stronger
And determined to hurt me.
men cannot be raped.
Men cannot be raped.
MEN CANNOT BE RAPED.
Why is this so hard to comprehend????
out of the steaming cesspool of fucking garbage posts on this website this has got to be the number 1 shittiest post of all time
I don’t want to live on this planet anymore
If you have the ability to resist sexual acts and someone else has the ability to ignore your resistance, you can be raped. So yeah, I would say men— both cis men and trans* men, although I’m assuming this post was referring to cis men by the general theme of the blog— can be raped; anyone can be raped.
Rape isn’t sexism or racism. It can certainly be used as a tool of oppression but it doesn’t only happen to oppressed groups. Rape and sexual assault can happen to everyone, and it’s a pretty shitty experience regardless of your sex, gender identity, or any other goddamn identity.
While collecting data on women’s juridical and economic agency in colonial Spanish America, I came across this fantastic bit of analysis:
Women who brought suits against men, for whatever reason, might have their sexual behavior scrutinized or even be accused of promiscuity, tying sexuality to their credibility.
Hot diggity, that sounds pretty darn familiar! It continues:
And not all women merited protection under the law. Only “honorable” women’s safety was defended by Spanish courts. Women whose sexual conduct was in question could not demand justice for rape or physical mistreatment. They were tainted and not deserving of legal protection, no matter the circumstances.
And of course:
Lastly, Spanish gender ideologies dictated that women be much more harshly punished for sexual crimes than men.
Hold the phone here, kiddos.I feel like I’ve heard this before somewhere… By golly, I do believe it’s in contemporary Western ideology surrounding law, gender, and sexuality (aka rape culture). Do you know what that means? I’ll tell you what it means, and I’ll tell you with bolded text and an isolated paragraph that I hope indicates just a smidgen of how pissed off I am. Ready? Here goes:
Western Europe, Australia, and the Americas have had the same exact bullshit rape culture ideology about female-sexed bodies and gendered behavior and creating piss-poor excuses for enacting violent crimes for six goddamn hundred years at a goddamn minimum. I mean, Jesus Christ on a cracker, people.
Granted, the Americas and Australia may have had— and did have, if I recall my pre-colonial history correctly— a marginally less abhorrent example of the ideologies of human, especially female, sexuality.
(Source: Women in the Crucible of Conquest - Karen Vieira Powers)
High Low Middle - My Brightest Diamond
“When the wind is at your back, you don’t even notice it, but when it’s blowing in your face, you become very aware of it’s presence. That’s how it is with privilege. When you have it, you don’t even notice it. When you don’t have it, you know.”
The intro to this song is fantastic, and also I want whatever ze is wearing to be in my closet right now.
It makes me sad/angry/frustrated that radical feminists are seen as a joke even by other women within the feminist movement. Nothin’ like sisterhood, I guess.
Some radical feminist beliefs are a joke. I am sorry but WOC and queer women have been calling radfems out on their oppressive bullshit since the 1970s. The fact radfems do not see transwomen as real women shows the inherent transmisogyny/cissexism within the movement. Having a vagina doesn’t make someone a woman. Biologically it makes them female, biology does exist, but that doesn’t mean they are a woman. Also, in the 1970s and 80s radfem did compare their experiences to the experiences of POC. Completely disregarding the fact WOC experience sexism differently than white women. And then you have political lesbianism, which people have been calling out since the 1970s.
I want to see my lack of ambition when some man say this to my face and I punch him right on his balls and stand there watching him while he suffers on his knees.
1. ’never been forced to die in a war’…really. Here is a link to the female casualties of the Iraq war. Here is a link to the female casualties of the Vietnam war. Here is a link listing male and female casualties of World War II. How about you shut your moronic mouth and realize that in a war, EVERYONE is forced to die, not just those with penises.
2. ’You are not capable of performing the same tasks men do because you lack the ambition and devotion to do a good job at anything. This is why you get paid less.’ Tell that to Jessica Lynch, Hillary Clinton, Marion Jones, Harriet Tubman, Susan B. Anthony, Stephanie Kwolek, Marie Curie, Madeline Albright, Cleopatra, Hatshepsut, Queen Elizabeth I, Gertrude B. Elion, Rosalind Franklin. I could make an entire post about women performing the same tasks as men and BEATING them on their own male-dominated field.
3. ’Remember when you weren’t allowed to vote? It’s because you lack the enough logical reasoning skills to take difficult decisions in a sound manner.’ Since this sentence is grammatically illogical, I don’t even need to argue the point. I win by default.
4. ’You have never ruled the world. Because you lack the enough physical strength and intelligence to lead an army or a nation.’ We have never ruled the world because we’re not stupid enough to attempt it. And yes, we have led armies and nations—Cleopatra, Elizabeth I, Queen Victoria, Joan of Arc, Boudicca, Artemisia of Caria, Zenobia, Tamar of Georgia off the top of my head. There have been others. Many others.
5. ’The only reason you need wimpy support groups (i.e. feminism) is because of your primal instinct of inferiority.’ No, the reason we need feminism is because of the male inferiority complex which leads idiots to make these kinds of posts.
6. ’You have never invented anything worth mentioning during the last thousands of years of recorded human history.’ So, kevlar, windshield wipers, non-reflecting glass, dishwashers, signal flares, x-ray technology, the leukemia fighting drug 6-mercaptopurine, whiteout, vacuum packed canning, optical analysis systems, gas heating furnaces, the process of isolating human stem cells, are not worth mentioning? Or perhaps this person is too much of a dumbass to know this?
7. ’Mathematics, philosophy, science, medicine, and all of the important building blocks of modern society were created by men.’ Okay first off, no one created mathematics, philosophy, or science—we discover it. Secondly, some famous women that helped further all of these—Marie Curie, Eva Viehmann, Maria Chudnovsky, Hypatia, Sophie Germain, Ada Lovelace, Emmy Noether, Thermistoclea, Diotima of Mantinea, Aspasia of Miletus, Heloise, St. Teresa of Avila, Catherine of Siena, Agamede, Aglaonike, Merit Ptah, Theano, Constance Calenda, Lilavati, I COULD GO ON.
And we did it all while looking fabulous and occasionally bearing children. So go fuck yourself, whoever shared and wrote this idiotic facebook post. Woe to you if it ever shows up on MY facebook feed.
Let’s all take a moment to quell our rage by laughing at the “I’m not sexist, anti-feminine or whatever but” statement beneath the picture.
Though Catalogue - 10 Things You Should Never Say To A Woman In Her 20s | http://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/10-things-you-should-never-say-to-a-woman-in-her-20s/
I had to post this. They took the words directly out of my brain. I always have to awkwardly avoid conversations with people who know I’m a feminist who want to immediately talk about 30 rock or parks and rec or the mindy project. Sorry, I can’t keep up with the latest middle class enlightened comedies out there. I respect the fact that women are taking a bigger portion of the comedy pie, but…
It’s exactly what it sounds like, folks
A California appeals court has overturned the rape conviction of a man accused of sneaking into an 18-year-old woman’s bedroom and having sex with her while pretending to be her boyfriend. The decision turned on a crucial fact: she wasn’t married.
In the unanimous decision, the court cited an 1872 law that says a suspect is only guilty of rape if the victim is married and the attacker is pretending to be the spouse. In this case, the accused, Julio Morales, pretended to be her boyfriend.
The 18-year-old woman, who had been sleeping, at first consented to sex, thinking she was with her boyfriend. But according to reports, when she realized his true identity she pushed him away. Morales was convicted of rape and sentenced to three years in prison. That conviction has been tossed out and the appeals court says the accused should be retried with prosecutors focusing on another rape law.